Most people assume that for achieving success in politics, it requires a leader to be manipulative and authoritative but basically, it is the other way around. A leader with a vision for the people builds connections with the people to win their support and in return builds strong political leadership.
Building political leadership means learning to become a leader. Being a leader conveys you are someone others can trust. A genuine leader has confidence and knows how to delegate responsibilities, and a leader with superior political skills inspires people to work together to reach a common goal. Having political skills and learning to be an effective leader doesn’t come easily to everyone. The good news, however, is that anyone can hone their political leadership skills.
Here are the 08 pillars of strong political leadership:
- Influence: Influence is the beginning of true Leadership. Leadership is all about influence. Everyone has the ability to influence others but true leaders take it to another level to build their influence over others. The best investment in tomorrow is to build your influence today.
- Problem Solving: Albert Einstein said, “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” Not everyone sees things this way apart from a leader. The best leaders are the best problem solvers. The best leaders who shift their thinking from Is there an answer? to There is always an answer to There must be a good answer, have the potential to become a fantastic problem solver. Great leaders never solve problems alone but solve problems with people by asking them the best solutions.
- Serving People: Zig Ziglar said, “ If you help people get what they want, they will help you get what you want.” The heart of leadership is based on serving others, not ourselves. All great leaders of the world have one thing in common; they were transformational in their own lives and their works of service not only helped others but became models for others to emulate.
- Character: Mahatma Gandhi said, “A man of character will make himself worthy of any position he is given.” Character is the foundation of leadership. Good character builds strong trust. Character makes you bigger on the inside than the outside. Character is developed by courage.
- Self-Discipline: Brian Tracy said, “Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem and personal satisfaction.” It is impossible to get success without self-discipline. It makes your habits your servant instead of your master. Good leaders practice self-control before they try to engage others.
- Personal Growth: Your capacity to grow will determine your capacity to lead. Development, expansion and the growth of your leadership depend on your dedication to personal growth. Leaders are not born as leaders anymore. Anyone can now be developed as a leader. Growth always requires change. If we don’t change, we don’t grow. Growth’s highest reward is not what we get from it, but what we become because of it.
- Attitude: Positive Attitude makes leadership better. Good leaders understand that a positive attitude creates a positive atmosphere, which encourages positive and productive responses from others. A leader’s attitude must exemplify resolve, tenacity, focus, determination and commitment. Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we react to it so we are in charge of our attitude.
- Vision: Vision brings our world into focus. A clear vision enables a leader to see everything differently. For leaders, vision sets the direction for their lives. It prioritizes both action and values, helping leaders remain focussed. Vision is a picture of the future that produces passion. Leaders who are passionate about their calls create vision. As a leader, be willing to paint a clear picture of your vision for people and mobilize them to join you.